Monday, July 1, 2013

K. S. Thoughts for Post #3



When I talk to about my interests for this project, the words “self-efficacy” come out a lot. But I feel like the term “self-efficacy” limits my scope of interest on the effects of tracking on students. Over the weekend, as I was reading for our Ed Psych class, I was finally able to put into words this something that’s been bugging me. In Woolfolk’s book, she says that, “Most people assume that self-efficacy is the same as self-concept or self-esteem but it isn’t…Self-concept is a more global construct that contains many perceptions about the self, including self-efficacy. Self-concept is developed as a result of external and internal comparisons using other people or other aspects of the self as frames of reference. But self-efficacy focuses on your ability to successfully accomplish a particular task with no need for comparisons…” (2010, pg. 350). It was really nice to see this laid out so clearly in a place where it was quite unexpected. Woolfolk then went on to talking about sources of self-efficacy that which I thought were really interesting. Ed psych textbook going into the lit review? What? We shall see…

1 comment:

  1. I have been thinking a lot about 'self-efficacy' lately; especially it's connection to autonomy. I started to equate 'self-efficacy' with competency. To be competent is simply to believe that you are capable, irregardless of your actual inability. I really LOVE this concept because it allows you to believe you are capable even in the wake of a failure. It allows you to celebrate failure as simply part of the process of learning. And it does not allow you to see failure as evidence for being incapable.

    I am SUPER excited to see what your research uncovers! I was tracked into IB and AP programs, which helped cement my own 'self-efficay'. I often wondered if I would see my abilities differently had I not been an IB/AP student. Go Katherine!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.