Tuesday, July 9, 2013

IRB is the process for me!

As I looked at the content of the IRB, the process seems to be more "grad-student-friendly" than any other process in our Road to MA Success.

Thankfully, the form seems really straight-forward, and the only real demands on design seem to be a qualitative description of the general pathway my research "may" take.   I figure if I cast my net wide enough, I  can cover my bases and not have to go back and make critical addendum in a pinch.

For right now, I can design my ideal "experiment" and assume I will need to gather vast amounts of information, in the form of observation surveys, student records, etc.  Hmm, now that I think about it, I'd better be careful to not stretch my net too far; the hypothetical design may scare off any administrator who may think I am one volt shy of prodding their students with electrodes.  

I suppose the safe bet is to just assume I am going to collect and process reasonable and accessible information, and not have to dig any further than this.  A generous balance will be necessary, in order to not have to go back to the IRB a la Oliver Twist  (please sir, can I have some more?)

The answer may very well be, 'No.'

Or just be too painful to pursue.  Red tape is vicious.  

Yes, my best bet will be to get it right--this first time.  

Peer review!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.