I am still dating my question ideas (I think the problem is, to extend the dating metaphor, having more than one prospect I'm interested in). After our reading from The Art of Classroom Inquiry, I am focusing on which of my ideas I can explore with specificity. I am interested in reading and writing connections, word work within the guided reading construct such as word books and magnetic letters, mentor texts, instructor note keeping in writer's workshop and how this can inform instruction, literacy goal setting, and peer work during reader's and writer's workshops.
Although my literature review explored mentor texts and reading/writing connections, I have found myself moving away from this topic. I am mostly content with my understanding of mentor texts and my use of them in the classroom. I want to push myself as an educator, and, as fore mentioned, choose a topic that brings to mind "specific, tangible, concrete images." Also, as much as I would like to better my writer's workshop notations as an instructor, I do not think I want to cover that particular journey more in depth in a master's project. This is why I am now leaning toward one of the following: 1. Word work, as detailed above 2. Literacy goal setting, as in setting a literacy goal with individual students weekly or biweekly, making parents and students aware of the goal, and seeing what happens 3. Readers or writer's partnerships, especially with Common Core's focus on comprehension. Too many ideas! During workshop time in class I plan to research my potential topics and see how I feel about the possible literature review findings that come up. Looking to see which of my options will love me back!
haha! I think you are quite lovable by any of these worthy topics. One thing to do might be to get into a long conversation with some of the others who are courting the same ideas. You could talk to Ivy about the reading/writing connections... Tim seems to be looking at common core implementation as well...
ReplyDelete